Friday, June 13, 2008

Dr. Google

It’s not that I have a dislike for Doctors. Even if I have to get a shot (big phobia), I don’t hold it against the Dr. or think ill of them, but I just don’t like inconveniencing myself by having to call, make the appointment, wait until the specified day, rearrange my day in order to fit the appointment in, etc. In my opinion, it’s just a big pain in my BUTT (worse than the shot)!!

So, here I am! For the past 6 months I’ve been having pain in the bottoms of my feet. The mornings are the worse, but after a few hours the pain wears down to a manageable level. It’s still uncomfortable, but nothing I can’t ignore

On goes the computer and I Google the following: “the bottoms of my feet hurt”

Up pops 2, 580,000 hits. I click the very first one and find that I have all the symptoms of…

Plantar fasciitis (PLAN-tur fas-e-i-tis)
Most commonly caused by inflammation of the plantar fascia — the tissue along the bottom of your foot that connects your heel bone to your toes.

Plantar fasciitis causes stabbing or burning pain that's usually worse in the morning because the fascia tightens (contracts) overnight. Once your foot limbers up, the pain of plantar fasciitis normally decreases, but it may return after long periods of standing or after getting up from a seated position.

Dr. Google to the rescue!! This has got to be what I have! I tried some of the foot stretching exercises they talk about, and lo and behold, it worked to a certain degree. I need to make the stretches part of my regular routine.

They also have foot splints I can wear at night that are suppose to help. I think I’ll try the stretches first and see how well that goes. :)

Large bottle of Advil - $3.99
Foot Splints - $30
Dr. Google co-pay - $0
Not going to the Dr. - priceless

4 comments:

Jen said...

I got that randomly last summer for a few weeks. I spoke to a family doctor over the phone...did some stretches...and wore tennis shoes for the rest of the month and it worked great.

It is nice to look it up though!

Caleb T Ricks said...

I also have this. When I walk a lot it is especially bad. If you freeze a water bottle and then gently roll your foot back and forth for 10 minutes a night it helps to take down the swelling and pain. This is also free and somewhat priceless! :)

Blarney Girl said...

I am so going to try that, Kathie!! Thanks for the tip!

Thankfully, as the say wears on, the pain becomes less and less. Unless I sit for a long period and then it hurts more, but not as bad as when I first get up in the morning. UGH, that is horrible! Even on padded carpet, it feels like I've bruised all the bones in my feet and that I'm walking directly on the bone with no cushioning. OW! OW!! OW!!

Jeanette said...

I have that too since I broke my ankle. I'm going to try the stretches.

I always go to the internet first and then to the Dr. I am sure my Dr. loves hearing, "I read on the internet it may be..." totally annoying, but I've always been right!