Friday, August 15, 2008

Back to The Blackhills

Wednesday morning we left The Badlands and headed back to The Blackhills; Deadwood to be exact.

Kathie needed to get some work done on her grant, so I put $20 in the tank and went for a drive. I had read in one of our (many!!) brochures that there was a scenic drive close to Deadwood, so I found a map, charted my course and set off.

You may notice that most of the pictures are a little "fuzzy." No, my camera wasn't acting up. It was actually raining quite heavily and the clouds were pretty low. Needless to say, I was a bit damp when I got back to the kabin (KOA spelling!).

Below is a map of the drive I took. Even from a topographical map I could tell it was going to be a long and winding road. I left from Deadwood and made my way to Spearfish and then backtracked. It was about two hours there and back.



This is Highway 85 just south of Lead. Even on the big roads, the view is stunning!



The scenic road "started" once I turned onto SR 14A at Cheyenne Corner. The map doesn't show it because it's just that, a corner with a small convenience store.


I never did see a sign giving the name of this river. The road basically followed it all the way to Spearfish. All of the pics below are of the same river.


The massive cliffs and gorgeous pine trees were my only company. They were quite friendly and allowed me to take their picture quite a number of times.

Bridal Veil Falls - it's about halfway between Cheyenne Corner and Spearfish. There's a good size shoulder area here where you can park. Had it not been pooring rain, I would have ventured across the street and hiked about for a bit to get different angles of the falls.



No comments: