Monday, February 2, 2009

Sickness in the Family

A quick note before I begin this entry. If you're not an animal lover and in particular don't like cats, you might as well stop reading now.


A couple of weeks ago Reilly began drinking A LOT of water and eating her food a lot quicker than normal. My first thought was diabetes because of her drinking so much water, but I didn't know if cats could get it so I talked myself out of it. I was in denial and waited hoping that she would normal out.

Last Friday I finally took her in to see the vet. Sure enough, cats do get diabetes and it's actually quite common. It's only a preliminary diagnosis, but she has all the classic signs. The vet took a blood and urine sample and today we go back for the results. She also had a bladder infection and the doctor put her on antibiotics. Since being on the meds her water intake has normalized. I also started feeding her a special diet for diabetic cats to help get the sugar levels in her system down. It's a long shot, but I'm hoping it can be regulated by diet. If not, she's going to have to have insulin injections twice a day.

I know a lot of you are reading this and wondering why I would even bother. It's only a cat. It's not a human, it's not a child. For those of you who may think that, think on this. There's a good chance you've been blessed with children and so your days are filled with the love and concerns that go along with that. I, on the other hand, have not, but I have been blessed with the companionship of a gorgeous little orange kitty cat. I know that the love for a pet can't compare to the love for a child, but it's what I have right now and I will take love where I can find it.

4 comments:

Jeanette said...

I hope that you don't think I was thinking "It's only a cat" last night. I would do the same. I was just thinking of the expenses. With no money coming in, my mind tends to go to the finances these days. I meant no harm. I have kids and if I had a pet, I'd do the same thing. My friend with 5 kids shelled out $4000 to save her dog recently because her hubby feed it a whole corn and it was choking on it...I think there is something special about a pet. I just don't have the room for one. ;) I hope the diet works and that your kitty is back to normal soon.

my word verification is rearbra. Do they have such a thing? Things are beginning to droop and I might be in the market for one of those.

asiaelizabeth said...

Dallas I would so give any of my cats injections. They were my children first and still are. Ben is suprised I dont dress them in clothes. He's just as bad though. Clara is his baby and when hes home she doesnt walk she gets carried and we have a human baby!!! So yeah totally understand. I hope your baby gets better from diet alone too!

Landlocked Shores said...

If I can control my diabetes with food and not let the food control me then so can Riley!!!! If only i had an owner who wouldn't give me the chocolate and CARBS! Instead I so lovingly and willingly stuff my own face with them at least one week of the month! D... stop forcing your kitty to eat chocolate!
So glad I'm not alone in the Diabetes world... but sad Riley has it too!

Just say NO to needles!
...and people who don't get it.
Love - yo' sistah in the world o'Diabetes!
:)

PS - My word verification is "cousnes"....I felt left out cause it wasn't as cool as Jeanette's so I shared anyway!
Peace out cousnes!

Lissa said...

As a cat lover, I totally feel for you and Reilly. My cat Cally (she's 16, I've had her since I was 10) is usually pretty healthy, but I know she's not going to last forever. I would totally help her control her diabetes if she ever got it, though...but Jason would have to give the shots. I pass out around needles because I'm a wuss. I really hope things turn out okay for you two!

And I think you should spend all the money you want on Reilly! To me, pets are part of the family. People without pets, or who aren't animal people, don't really understand how important they are to family dynamics. Cally was pretty much my only friend when I was a tween, so she means a lot to me, and Jason is good to put up with her (he's mildly allergic to cats).