Thursday, April 3, 2008

Today in church history

Last night at prayer meeting, President Bradshaw, Second Counselor of the Temple Presidency, talked a little about church history. He spoke of the events of April 3, 1836 in Kirtland, OH when Jesus Christ appeared to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery in the Kirtland Temple. This was also the time that Moses, Elias and Elijah appeared and conveyed priesthood keys to Joseph and Oliver. It was Easter Sunday.

President Bradshaw spoke mostly of Elijah and how his appearing was fulfillment of Malachi's prophecy (Mal 4:5-6) and that the sealing power was returned to the earth.

5 Behold, I will asend you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord:

6 And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

President Bradshaw spoke of how this event ranks as one of the most important events to happen for mankind. How the sealing power and the work that goes on in the temple is what makes this earthly existance worthwhile.

I wish I could explain it as well as he did. Most of you who read my blog have been sealed and know better than I the importance of it. I understand the importance of it, I just don't have a personal testimony of it yet. :-)

I was excited to see our youth at the temple last night. I had a few minutes in between shifts to go down and peek in. Our youth were helping many who have passed on make convenants with Heavenly Father. Covenants that we ourselves made many years ago, but that these people hadn't the chance to make while alive. My testimony grows each time I see or participate in baptisms for the dead and know that God has provided a wonderful way for ALL his children to hear the Gospel and accept all it's blessings and ordinances. The work we do in temples is, in my opinion, the most sacred service we could render to our fellow beings.

No comments: